As the name entails, Jeep Gladiators are massive vehicles. When you’re going off-roading or Overlanding, you’ll need a large winch to get the job done. Getting stuck with a weak winch is the same as not having one at all; You won’t be able to pull yourself out of a messy situation.
The best winches for a Jeep Gladiator should be big enough to pull over 5,000 pounds, your preference between hydraulic or electric, and designed to work with a one-man crew. Many brands, such as WARN and Smittybilt, are perfect options for those who go off-roading with a Jeep Gladiator.
Throughout this article, you’ll learn all sorts of information about getting the right winch for a Jeep Gladiator, including:
- The best choices on the market currently
- Different features to keep an eye out for when you’re getting a winch
- Varying weight capacities to choose from
WARN 92815 ZEON 10-S Platinum 12V Electric Winch
If you’re looking for a heavy-duty, high-end electric winch, then look no further. The WARN 92815 ZEON 10-S Winch is a top choice among Jeep Gladiator owners for many reasons. The fact that it can hold up to 10,000 pounds means that it’s enough to pull your vehicle out of a sticky situation every time.
Another reason that so many people prefer this winch is that it’s made with a durable synthetic rope. You can tie it to your Jeep and start pulling it out of mud, snow, sand, and other types of terrain right away. The electric motor slowly turns, preventing damage to your vehicle from sudden jerking motions.
If you’ve ever used a WARN winch, then you know they’re tough. However, they took this model a step further by making it twice as durable as any other one that they’ve made to date. Off-roading can be a rough sport, so it’s critical that you have everything you need when times get rough.
- Made by a well-known, trustworthy brand in the industry
- Designed to be tougher than almost any other winch on the market
- Comes with enough capacity to pull 10,000 pounds
- Choose from four different sizes
Next up on the list is the powerful Mile Marker H-Series Hydraulic Winch. If you’re tired of waiting around for your vehicle to get pulled out of a rut, then this winch will be one of the top choices for you on the list. Note that it requires an adapter to fit a Jeep Gladiator, but it’s still a viable option.
With a towing capacity of 10,500 pounds, you’ll have no trouble getting your Jeep and its gear pulled out to where it needs to be. It’s small enough that it won’t take up too much space, but don’t let the size make you think it’s any weaker than the company claims it to be. In fact, it has a higher limit than the previous entry.
Another excellent benefit of this winch kit is that it can be used underwater. If you’ve got your vehicle stuck underwater or partially submerged, this kit is strong enough and designed to pull it out. Furthermore, it won’t get covered in rust or corrosion.
- Comes with plenty of carrying capacity
- Designed to be used underwater or on land
- Doesn’t take up too much space on your Jeep Gladiator
- Uses a powerful two-speed motor
Smittybilt GEN 2 XRC Winch
Reliability is the name of the game for most Smittybilt products, including the GEN 2 XRC Winch. In fact, this tough winch kit comes with a 100,000-mile warranty, which is something that the vast majority of kits don’t come with. On top of that, you’ll also be able to enjoy the anti-rust coating that comes on this winch.
If you’re not sure what size you need, you’ll have more than enough to choose from. Remember to always go one size larger than you think you’ll need since you need to factor in the weight of your gear. Overlanding and off-road vehicles can get much heavier than their base weight with all of the extra equipment on board.
This winch comes in multiple sizes, including 9,500, 12,000, 15,500, and 17,500-pound weight limits. Once you find the one you need, you can choose if you want a traditional rope or the synthetic rope for added protection. The whole mechanism is easily controlled using a handheld remote that comes with the kit.
- Includes a 100,000-mile warranty
- Choose from multiple weight capacities to fit your preferences
- Comes with a remote control
- Prewired for quick and easy installation
Smittybilt X2O COMP Winch
Much like the previous Smittybily winch, the X2O COMP Winch is an excellent choice for Jeep Gladiator owners. You can also choose from plenty of different sizes and rope styles, just like the GEN 2 XRC model from above. However, this winch kit is significantly smaller than most others that you’ll find.
Despite the small size, it can still pull up to 10,000 pounds with an optional 17,500-pound model. The base kit comes with a traditional rope, but the synthetic rope adds more security if you want to prevent kinks and cracks. They all come with a large hook to grab a hold of the tied surface.
These kits come with a wireless remote that connects to the winch. You can choose the speed and direction, stopping it whenever you need to. You don’t need multiple people to help you pull out your Jeep if you’re alone, making this a top choice for solo travelers. All in all, this compact winch only weighs 67 pounds.
- Compact design to show off your Jeep without a large winch
- Lightweight size for easy installation
- Includes a wireless remote with directional controls and speeds
- Ideal for solo off-roaders and Overlanders
WARN 96810 VR10 Electric 12V Winch
Do you want an easy-hookup electric winch kit? Try the WARN 96810 VR10 Winch. It’s made so you can hook it up and pull your rig out within minutes. There’s no need to sit around and hook up your kit for 10 to 15 minutes like you might have to with some of the older models. These budget-friendly winches are a top choice among all sorts of off-roaders.
Much like the WARN winch at the top of the list, this model is made to be as tough and durable as they come. It won’t bend, break, rust, or corrode any time soon. If you have any issues, you’re more than welcome to contact the company for replacements or repair jobs. It even uses an efficient motor to reduce energy consumption while producing more than enough power.
The winches are made to be compatible with almost all Jeep vehicles, so you’ll be good to go. It uses a low-profile design to sit flush with the vehicle, which allows you to leave it on the vehicle throughout the year. It also only has one piece to prevent the need for too many moving parts and possible repairs.
- One of the toughest designs on the market
- Made to sit flush with your vehicle to keep it from sticking out
- Powerful motor that allows you to pull out your vehicle
- Designed to be waterproof
Superwinch 1511200 Tiger Shark 11.5
The Superwinch 1511200 Tiger Shark is worth looking into if you want an added layer of weight capacity on the kit. Rather than only pulling 10,000 pounds (which is often more than you’ll need), this one comes with 11,500 pounds. It’s great if you chose the fully-kitted Jeep Gladiator with extra heavyweight mods.
Much like almost all other winch kits, this one has a remote that you can use. However, it’s not wireless. You’ll have to wire it up with a provided 12-foot cable to take control of the motions. It’s very easy to use and you’ll have the benefit of not worrying about losing connection with the winch kit on your vehicle.
Another benefit of this winch is that it’s designed to prevent tangles. When a winch kit gets tangled, it’s incredibly difficult to fix. Thanks to the synthetic rope on this model, you can move it around with your hands. No need to worry about cuts and bruises since it’s not too heavy or abrasive.
- Designed to pull 11,500 pounds
- The synthetic rope won’t tangle or break when you’re pulling it
- Includes a wired remote
- Made to fit almost all Jeep models
WARN 87310 Electric 12V 9.5xp-s Series Winch
On the other hand, the WARN 87310 Series Winch is a bit smaller and made to pull only 9,500 pounds. Again, it’s enough for almost off Overlands and off-roaders with Jeep Gladiators. The main goal should be to get yourself out of a bad situation when you’re stuck in the mud or sand. With 9,500 pounds of force, you’ll be in the right position.
It has a 3-stage gear system that cuts back on the energy being used. You’ll still get the power you need, but you won’t have to use too much power. The result is a quieter sound when it’s in use and a longer-lasting battery compared to other models. The remote can be attached via a long cable.
Much like many other winch kits on this list, this particular model is low-profile. You can hide it under grill mods or leave it right on the front of the Jeep. Either way, it won’t take up too much space on your vehicle. It also includes a tangle-free synthetic rope or you can save money with a regular rope.
- Comes with enough power to pull 9,500 pounds
- Low-profile design to keep it on all year
- Doesn’t make too much noise when you’re using it
- Includes a wired remote
ORCISH IP67 Waterproof 12V Steel Cable Electric Truck Winch
Do you want a water-resistant winch to stay prepared in all situations? The ORCISH Steel Cable Truck Winch is made with an IP67 waterproof rating to prevent splash damage and underwater rusting. It won’t tangle, corrode, or get bunched up when you’re trying to store it. This rugged design is exactly what you need for long off-roading trips.
It comes with an 85-foot steel cable, so you shouldn’t have any trouble trying to get it tied around a nearby object. Once you have it hooked up, you can start the motor, plug in the remote, and pull your vehicle out right away. The whole process only takes a few moments and you’ll be back on the road (or dirt path).
The weight capacity on this model is 13,000 pounds, making it a top choice for any Jeep model in the industry. This kit comes with two remotes, so you can keep one in your glove box and a backup somewhere else in the vehicle. The company made it so you’ll never have to feel stuck in the mud again.
- Includes a decent waterproof rating compared to other winch kits
- Made with a steel rope for the toughest setup
- Designed to pull up to 13,000 pounds
- Comes with two controllers
ZESUPER 9500 lb. Load Capacity Electric Winch Kit
You don’t need to shell out thousands of dollars to get a good winch. The ZESUPER Electric Winch Kit is an excellent example of a top-shelf option that costs much less than most others on the market.
Once you install the kit with the provided instructions, you’ll be able to plug in the remote and start using it immediately. It’s smaller than most other winches, which means you won’t have to take up all of the space on the front of your Gladiator.
When it’s all loaded up, this kit has the power to pull over 6 feet per minute. That might seem slow, but it’s actually fairly efficient compared to other models in the same price range. Furthermore, it can drag a vehicle up to 9,500 pounds without showing signs of failure.
- Comes with a budget-friendly price tag
- Designed for efficiency and longevity
- Made with a low-profile construction
- Includes a one-year limited warranty
STEGODON New 9500 lb. Load Capacity Electric Winch
Another affordable winch kit that can pull 9,500 pounds in the STEGODON Electric Winch. It uses a remote to pull your vehicle out of the mud, snow, sand, or any other rough terrain. There’s enough power in these winch kits to pull your vehicle up a steep hill.
When your vehicle is packed, it can pull the Jeep out at over 20 feet per second. When it’s loaded, it pulls about 6.4 feet per second. Either way, you’ll be sure to get your vehicle back in good shape very soon.
The simple plug-and-play design on the winch and remote is what attracts most customers to it. You don’t need to be a mechanic to understand this setup; All you need to do is mount it to the front of your Jeep and plug the remote to the side of the unit.
- Made to be affordable to most Jeep owners
- Perfect for beginners and experts alike
- Strong enough to pull between 6 to 20 feet per second
- Easiest installation process available
What to Look For
Before you buy a winch kit, you should know what you’re looking for. Despite the obvious size requirements, there are plenty of other factors to keep an eye on.
Here’s a list of what you should consider:
- The weight capacity of the winch kit is important. Most Jeep Gladiators weigh a little over 4,000 to 5,000 pounds, but the weight can increase by quite a bit when you factor in all of your equipment.
- The size of the kit is also worth considering. If you’re trying to keep it low-profile, there are plenty of options on the list. On the other hand, some of them are bulky and capable of pulling over 17,000 pounds.
- Think about the type of rope you’re using. Synthetic rope is usually more expensive because it prevents kinks, it’s lightweight, and it won’t tangle as easily. However, traditional and steel ropes are excellent choices as well.
- Check if there’s a warranty. While they’re not always necessary, companies that provide warranties are usually much more reliable. Try to find one with either a one-year or a 100,000-mile warranty.
Getting a good winch kit is not only helpful, but it can also be a life-saver. If you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere, the need for a high-quality winch is second to none. You’ll be incredibly thankful that you have enough power at the front of your vehicle to get the job done.
Here’s a quick recap of the post:
- Always have more than enough power at your disposal.
- Check for warranties and instruction manuals.
- Consider the different materials used and items included in the kit.
- Don’t forget to measure your vehicle to ensure its compatibility.
- Ensure that you’re able to operate the winch on your own before heading out.